You want to know how to improve tennis ratings and popularity, I’ll tell you:
- Reduce the number of tournaments and lengthen the major tournaments. Grand Slams should last 3 weeks and second level events should last 2 weeks.
- Add lights on the courts at all of these events. I mean really, how much does it cost to light some courts.
- Schedule big name players in prime-time matches. These will have to be tape-delayed of course for fans not in the same region, but the matches should be broadcast in primetime in all cases.
- Do back stories on players other than those ranked among the top 5.
- Promote doubles players. You have an entire sport of professional athletes that are basically being ignored. And in doubles there are break-ups, reconciliations, and most likely there are even a few romances. Not to mention most club players play doubles. This is great stuff that is currently being under exploited.
And what shouldn’t you do? Dream up another league idea that isn’t going to go anywhere.